Thursday 13 July 2017

Injury Woes

I began marathon training in early April as one of my main running races for 2017 was the Brisbane Marathon, aiming to go sub 3 hours and 45 mins. I had started using Hal Higdon's training plan for an Advanced marathon runner, I have run 2 marathons, therefore I consider myself advanced :)

One week into the training and I started to feel something not quite right on the top of my right foot. At first I did what all good runners do and ignored the pain, thinking it would go away by itself. The next training session it was still there, and the one after that. It got to the point where I decided that if I continued on it, it would cause some serious damage.

I consulted Dr Google and found that it could be possibly one of two things; either a stress fracture of one of the metatarsals or some form of tendinitis. Neither of which sounded pleasant, or having a short recovery period. I thought I would be out for months.

I phoned my GP, arranged an appointment which would not come for another 2 weeks and resigned myself to rest. That is until I remembered that I could probably have a crack at swimming to keep my fitness up. So I dug out my goggles, my swimmers and a towel and headed off to the Centenary pool in Spring Hill for a few laps.

I have swum before, in preparation and competing in triathlons so I thought I should be able to manage fine. But, the last time I swam was approximately 18 months ago. I wasn't sure my arm muscles have actually been used since then. As a typical runner, I tend to spend zero time in the gym lifting any sort of weights. For me this is time wasting and an unnecessary distraction to the art of running.

I arrived at the pool early and ready for at least 20 laps of freestyle swimming. I jumped into the water, fortunately for me the pool was heated, which helped immensely. Off I went, the first lap went really well but the second, oh my goodness not good! My heart rate rocketed, I struggled to breathe and barely made it back to end my second lap. So I stopped to catch my breath. 2 laps! That is all I could manage in one go, a measly 100 metres swimming effort, how pathetic.

I did keep going, although I did have to slow down significantly. I left my pride at the end of the pool and continued doing breast stroke for another 8 laps. By then I'd had enough, but I did come back a few days later and managed to put in a much better effort.

Once I did manage to get the appointment with my GP, he suggested that I get x-rays and a bone scan for my foot, which would confirm whether or not I had a fracture. This would keep me out of action for a further couple of weeks, while the appointments were sorted out and the results sent back to the GP.

Eventually I got the results, by which stage I had not run for three weeks. However, my arms and core area had significantly strengthened by going to the pool and gym.

The GP had good news and bad news it seemed. The good news was awesome! No stress fracture! I almost wanted to leave the consultation room right there and then, grab my runners and run home. Then came the bad news, which was more confusing really than bad.
"you don't have a stress fracture" the Doctor said, "but you do have some significant inflammation, which is consistent with inflammatory arthritis".....

That news halted my just found drive to get out and run immediately. "What does that mean?" I asked the GP. After a lengthy discussion, it turns out that a by-product of having Crohn's disease is for some sufferers to experience differing levels of joint pain and arthritis. Now this answered a lot of niggling questions over why I had back, hip, elbow, chest pain etc. over the years. But I was interested on what it meant for my foot. The recommendation was to take it easy and to see a rheumatologist who would have a better idea of what is going on. But getting an appointment could take months.

I thanked the GP and left. Although I was confused, I knew what I needed to do. Crohn's disease and its symptoms are something I have lived with for over 20 years, inflammation on my foot through some form of arthritis is something I could live with. If it got really bad I would take pain killers, otherwise I was going back to enjoying something that helped me feel alive; running.

Running has helped me not only manage Crohn's disease, but helps me feel as though I have conquered it. I have to live with Crohn's and its symptoms on a daily basis, running is one outlet where I feel I can leave it behind. Running is also something that clears my mind, gives me joy and keeps me fit. Unfortunately, I do not know how long I have as the Crohn's disease could flare up significantly and render me completely unable to function as I currently can do, something I have experienced for many years previously.

The next day, at lunch time while taking a break from work, I got changed and laced up my running shoes. I went for a tentative 2 km run on the treadmill in the gym to see how the foot felt. It felt ok! There was a bit of residual pain, but I knew that it wasn't serious and at least I could run just as well as I had been doing.

It was too late though to pick up the training for the Marathon again this year, something I had come to terms with while swimming laps in the pool. I did however, have time to train for a Half Marathon! There was enough time for a 12 week program before the Brisbane Marathon Festival. So I began. Slow and easy KMs at first, but they soon developed into longer and stronger runs. Knowing that the foot was ok and not fractured was a major relief and a confidence booster. Some days it hurts more than others, but I know it isn't going to stop me from running any time soon. Bring on the Half Marathon in August!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment