Tuesday 22 August 2017

Race Report - Walkabout Creek Trails Race 2017

The Walkabout creek trails race actually took place back in early July. It is only now in August that I decided to write about it!

This was another race organised by the wonderful Trail Association of Queensland or TRAQ for short, the same mob that put on the amazing but gruelling Mount Glorious trails race back in February.

On this occasion the race was much shorter (9.4km to be precise), and relatively flatter with only 250m or so of elevation. The location is spectacular and very familiar, as it circumnavigates the Enoggera Reservoir at The Gap in north west Brisbane. By familiar, I mean that I have run around the reservoir on many occasions and is one of my favourite places to run trails.

I had been interested in running this race since a friend at work ran it 12 months ago, and it seemed like a good test of speed, endurance and stamina. Although it is a short race, I thought the challenge would be a good test to check on my fitness, as I was in the middle of training for the Brisbane Half Marathon.

I usually run the circuit anticlockwise, but the race organised by TRAQ goes clockwise which I had actually never really done before. Well, there was one occasion where I did run clockwise but that was part of a much longer run that started in my usual starting place at the Walkabout Creek centre on Mt Nebo road.

The race was scheduled to start at 8am, which is a lot later than I am used to. For example, parkrun in Queensland is run at 7am and other races such as the Brisbane Marathon start at 6am. So for race day, getting myself up at 5am rather than 3am for my usual routine was a welcome luxury. Having said that of course, pre-race nerves are always present regardless of how many races and events I have entered so sleep was a little interrupted.

One massive bonus of a later start, was that my lovely family would be coming to the finish line to cheer me on. Even though they wouldn't see me during the race, knowing that they would be there at the finish was a real motivator to do well.

I arrived at the start line, close by to the Enoggera Dam wall at just after 6:30am to register and avoid the queues at the loos. Having Crohn's disease means that I really need to make sure I visit the toilets multiple times well before the race is due to begin. The last thing I want during the race is any nasty accidents. The thing is, I cannot and no not let Crohn's stop me from doing the things I want to do. It is my way of dealing and coping with the illness. I know that there are people in far worse situation than me, whether it is through major health issues, tragedy or something else. I try to be as thankful as possible to God, for him giving me the ability to run, and to be able to enjoying running despite having a chronic disease to live with.

The problem with my particular Crohn's symptoms is that at best it can be a very nervous search for the nearest toilets, or when I am running the closest darkest bushes. Or at worst, a humiliating disaster of having an accident, needing to get home somehow to get changed. You can imagine how this can affect one's self confidence and even lead to depression or worse. I have had humiliating experiences over the years, fortunately not many but still enough to affect me. In these cases I still had to find peace through God's love for me, even though I have blamed him at times for the illness in the past. I know that God is the one who opened the door to finding a new doctor 5 years ago, the doctor who gave me new medication which helps manage my symptoms, enabling me to do what I do. I still do suffer from time to time, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Once I finished with the loos, I took out my last secret weapon; Imodium! Perfect for giving me the confidence to get through the race, and endorsed by my gastroenterologist for getting through races.


The weather on the day was glorious, absolutely freezing but glorious. Well it was around 7 degrees and although not technically freezing, it was cold enough for south east Queensland, especially as I was wearing only shorts and a very thin singlet.

There were around 170 people ready to race. Although that is a small number, it is plenty for fire trails and narrow technical single track. The other cool thing about there being only a small number of runners, is that it is a much more intimate atmosphere. I mentioned this in my Mt Glorious race report as well, almost like a family gathering of like minded runners.

I decided to start near the front, why I don't really know but I was feeling confident and thought why not! My training had been going well and I was hoping for a time under around 55 minutes. I expected that I would finish between 50th and 80th place judging by last year's results, I would be happy with that.

The start was at bang on 8am, and true to all TRAQ events I have entered, the first half a kilometre or so was uphill! The gradient was steep but not brutal, and the ground was firm.

The next section between 3km and 4.5km was pretty flat, I was able to stretch out and get into a really good rhythm, cracking a sub 5min/km pace which for me is not easy on the trail. I even managed to pass someone on this section which was a surprise. I thought to myself that I must have been roughly in the top 20 at this stage, but I wasn't sure and I knew that the hardest section of the course was coming up.

Just before the 5km mark, or roughly half way into the race the hardest section began. This was a very steep climb with a gradient of 20 to 35%, lasting approximately half a kilometre. I noticed a couple of runners who were ahead of me walk up the climb, so I followed suit. I'm glad I did as the climb was brutal, not only steep but deeply rutted from water erosion, even though it was dry at the time. The ground was also quite loose, so careful footing was needed as well.

As I reached the top breathing heavily, I was greeted by some wonderful TRAQ volunteers manning the only checkpoint of the race. Even though it was a really short race, it was good to see that TRAQ were counting all the runners passing through ensuring everyone's safety. Drinks were available, but I didn't bother stopping on this occasion. The drop down the other side of the incline was also pretty steep, so I took my time and made sure I kept my footing secure.

Between 5km and 7km there were a few more short and sharp hills, the terrain was really rolling making it hard to keep a constant pace. I dug in though, knowing that the flat section of single trail would take me home for the last 2 and a half kms. At this stage, I did get passed by a couple of guys which I didn't really mind as I was beginning to tire. One of them was wearing Vibram five fingers running "shoes", really thin foot covers that emulated barefoot running. I had a quick chat with him about the Vibrams, he was convinced that he loved them especially on trails. They must have worked as at that point he overtook me and that's the last I saw of him.

The fire trail at this point ended, and the course took a right turn into some very technical single track. It was actually part of a walking loop that starts out at the Walkabout Creek centre, awesome as a walking track but quite challenging to run on. I told myself to be careful on the single track as I could fall or trip against some tree roots. Just as I was thinking this, my left ankle turned over, and I felt a sharp pain in my foot - typical! I slowed slightly but told myself to keep running, it should hold out until the end. Although many thoughts entered my head about not being able to continue training for the Brisbane Half Marathon, I was convinced I had torn or broken something. After a couple of minutes, the pain disappeared and I was able to relax. I could even start to hear the cheering from the finish line, I was close so I tried to increase the pace again.

Round the last corner, and the finish line was in sight! I charged towards it, and there I could see my wife, son and daughter. What an awesome sight, and something that brought a huge smile to my face.
The time? 50mins and 28secs, way better than I ever expected! But more incredibly was my placing, I came 18th!

No comments:

Post a Comment