Sunday 2 April 2017

Race Report - Mt Glorious Trails 2017


Apart from countless parkruns, my first running "event" of the year was the Mt Glorious Trails race run by TRAQ; the Trail Association of Queensland. I had run The Pinnacles Classic event hosted by them last year as my first trail running race and thoroughly enjoyed it.

These races are much smaller than the usual mass participation events around Brisbane, like the City2South or the Bridge to Brisbane so they have a much more intimate feel to them. Having said that, the standard of the runners was much higher than I was used to. Usually every age, size and shape is represented, but in the case of Mt Glorious although all ages were present, almost of the runners were thin and lean. 

The Mt Glorious trails race is very challenging. the race is 22km long with 1200m of elevation gain. There are two long climbs with the first starting just after the start and lasting just over 3km with gradients nearing 30%.

As is usual for me, I arrived at the starting area (a beautiful part of the world near White Cedar car park on the road to Wivenhoe Dam) around an hour before the race was due to start. I tend to arrive this early due to my unfortunate case of Crohn's Disease, I need to make sure that I have visited the loos for plenty of time before I register and head to the start line. It is a necessary evil, but gives me confidence for the race proper. I also make sure I take a couple of Imodium tablets to prevent any issues mid run. Unfortunately, I also had some minor lower back trouble that I put down to rheumatism. A couple of Nurofen plus helped put that issue to bed as well.

Runners at the start of the race are divided into 4 waves, the first being the fastest down to the fourth being the slowest. I had originally nominated to start in Wave 4 but changed to Wave 2 as I thought I would complete the race in around 2 and a half hours, in hindsight I wished I had stayed in Wave 4 but hindsight is 20/20 as I completely underestimated the difficulty of this race!
Wave 1 contained the fastest runners, the winners eventually coming from this wave. I was very fortunate to meet the 2nd placed male; Brad Ward, on the bus transfer to the car park at the end of the race, a fantastic runner indeed.

The start was signalled by a bag piper in full Scottish tartans, an awesome way to start the race and certainly beating "Ready, Set, GO!" Once Wave 1 was gone, I waited with the rest of Wave 2 for our bag pipe blast. By now I was feeling quite nervous as this was the longest run I had done for a while and certainly the steepest.

The pipes then blew "O Flower of Scotland" and we were off, running down across a dry river bed and then taking a tight right turn to start the steep climb up Northbrook Mountain. I must have been running no more than 200 to 300 metres before I had to stop to walk, this was not through fatigue but due to the incredible incline that had just presented itself ahead. Not only was it steep, but the trail was incredibly loose with small rocks and dirt moving freely underfoot, very difficult to get a grip even wearing my trusty Brooks Puregrit trail shoes. It was hard to get any momentum at all and boy was it a grind.
 
Up and up we went and by this stage it had started getting warmer, it was about 24 degrees, overcast and very humid. For 3km the climb went on and finally after about 30 minutes of walking it started levelling out so we could start to run again. Shortly after reaching the top of Northbrook Mountain the trail started to descend, the trees thinned out and now I could really start to stretch my legs, enjoy the descent and look at the surrounding scenery. This was such a joy. Looking out to Wivenhoe Dam to the right, and over towards the Glasshouse Mountains on the left, absolutely wonderful to look at and run through, this for me is what trail running is all about; enjoying a challenging run and taking in God's beautiful creation descending back down into the trees.

These next 6km on the descent only took 30mins, so by now I was 9km in with 13 to go and feeling great. I did take the descent pretty hard though, mainly to make up some time from the earlier climb and although I did feel pretty good I slowed down at the bottom to conserve some energy.

Speaking about energy, I used 4 Winners energy gels from Woolworths for the race. Probably not the best gels in the world, but they do give you a boost of sugar when needed. Taking water on the course was compulsory, so my old Camelbak with 1.5l capacity did the trick. I did have to refill it twice on course though as I thought I was getting too thirsty.

After another 3km of very steady running, the long gruelling climb up to the finish line at the top of Mount Glorious loomed ahead. 10km of steady 7 to 15% grade climbing. By this stage I had been running around 1 hour and 20 mins and was beginning to feel tired, I should not have gone so hard on the first climb and descent.

Even though the surrounding rain forest was utterly beautiful and in some places cooling, it could not take away from how hard I found the climb up to Mount Glorious. I realised after a km or two on the climb that I would just have to slog it out, and so I carried on up walking and half running where I could. On and on and on went the climb and I thought it would never end. After 20km we were led by a very nice marshall on a sharp left turn from the main trail onto a very shady rainforest single track trail which eventually led to the finish.

This for me was the hardest part of the race. I could hear the road towards the side and top of the trail, but could not get a sight of it; it felt like torture. My legs had given up by this stage, my original target of 2 and a half hours and long since past. I was now aiming desperately to get under 3 hours, but it was looking more and more unlikely. Another runner went past me and called out "do you know about the steps?", I replied "what steps?". I soon found out.

There were no more than 15 to 20 steps, wet and covered in moss which sapped the last remaining strength from my legs. I had to stop and compose myself as the pain was quite intense. But I kept going, on an on through the rain forest, when suddenly it opened up on to a lush green lawn. A lane made up of plastic cones welcomed me, with a large sign at the end of it with the friendliest word of the day - FINISH! I had made it.
Even though I had walked most of the last 10km up the mountain I never gave up, I kept going and reached my goal. I didn't meet my 2 and a half hour target, or my revised 3 hour target but I did make it and wow, did that feel good.

My official time was 3 hours 3 minutes and 41 seconds. All this means is that I will back next year to try again. 
TRAQ put on an awesome event, they had a great selection of sweets, fruit and drinks for us finishers which was very welcome.

My next race is the Pinnacles Classic again in April. I ran it in under 2 hours last year and I am hoping for a similar result if not better. I guess I could blame it for my love of trail running now. I do recommend it though and I cannot wait for it as my next challenge of the year..

No comments:

Post a Comment