Saturday 24 October 2020

Race Report - Blackall100 Ultramarathon 2020

2020 has been a very strange year. I would be remiss to not mention the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact it’s had on every part of our lives, in particular us runners and the events in which we enjoy taking part.

In my last blog entry whilst running around Mt Glorious, I spoke about the pandemic with unease at the unknown that we were about to find ourselves within. In hindsight looking back at the year so far, I am incredibly thankful and fortunate to find myself living in South-East Queensland, Australia. Although we've had periods of restrictions; races and other events have been cancelled, we have not suffered at all in comparison to other countries around the world, or even Victoria.

I had two main races planned for 2020; the Brisbane Marathon in June and the Blackall100 in October. I had booked and paid for them both in February, just before the pandemic took hold. It would soon become apparent that the Brisbane Marathon would be cancelled or postponed, but Blackall was still far enough away for it not to be affected.

I had already started training for the marathon, as it was supposed to be a warm up race in preparation for Blackall training. I never thought I would call a marathon a warm up race, that's for sure! I decided early on that I would continue training and run anyway on the original date of the Brisbane Marathon.

I'm glad I did, the marathon turned out to be a very special run. Several friends ran as well, a few others joined in along the way as pacers making it even more fun. A great day, but a story for another time. 

I ended up running 3hrs 59mins, which was a 25min improvement on the Gold Coast Marathon last year!! However, the downside was I had managed to give myself a nasty ITB injury to my left knee, leaving me in significant pain for a few days afterwards.

Fortunately, I had planned in a 3-week break before ramping up training for Blackall. This gave my knee some well needed rest from running, while I planned some rehab. I decided not to see a physio, as I knew from having ITB issues on my right knee that I needed to strengthen my hips and glutes. I had also gotten lazy with my running technique, so decided that once I was back running, I would need to work on that.

I found a hip and glute strengthening program online, which I followed religiously for 2 weeks before I started running again and ended up using all the way through the Blackall training block.

Details of the Strength building program for ITB are here:

ITB Rehab Routine

ITB Strength Illustrations

By early August, I was ready to try to run. I had decided to only run 2 or 3 times a week for the first few weeks and supplement the rest of the training with cycling. I have had success with this approach before, so it definitely could do no harm.

The only issue was the running would ramp up pretty quickly into running trails with significant elevation based on the plan that I was using. I was concerned that my knee would not cope.

The plan I used was the 100km Generic Training Plan by Hanny Allston. I had heard good things about this plan, and fortunately didn't have massive weekly kms compared to other plans I had read. her plan is usually 24 weeks, but I condensed it into 16 weeks. I figured my fitness from marathon training would carry through.

My first run back was a 30min easy flat run, which went well with no pain. The second was a slow jobg around Enoggera Reservoir, my knee did hurt towards the end of the run, but I managed to pull through ok. I cycled the next day and had no pain. The following day I ran some intervals, there was some pain towards the end but less than earlier in the week. Things were improving, and all the while I was continuing the strengthening.

On the first Saturday I had my first "mission". Hanny Allston's missions are the longer runs specific to race distance and included using race day nutrition and equipment. These were 3 weeks apart and time rather distance based. The mission was 3 hours. By the end of 3 hours around the trails of Mt Coo-tha my knee was burning, I was struggling to make it downhill. Although on the uphills I was stronger than usual. I was concerned but would re-evaluate in a few days.

I took 2 days off and ran again the following Tuesday. I ran 10km around Ironbark trails, although my knee hurt a little by the end of the run it was not burning and uncomfortable. This was promising.

The cycling cross-training was helping, I was able to ride quite far and hard and had absolutely no pain at all in my knee, my arse on the other hand!!! I was also doing some bouldering, which was helping strengthen my upper body. In combination with the hip and glute work, the cycling and bouldering, I was definitely getting stronger and fitter.

This pattern continued through to my next mission, this time 4 hours around Mt Coo-tha. I finished 29km of running with zero knee pain. The reals tests were coming though, I had a 6-hour followed by an 8-hour run over the next 6 weeks.

I ran the 6-hour mission around Bunyaville trails. The idea behind this was to run for a long time on trails without a huge amount of elevation in order to preserve the knee as much as possible. The day was a success. I managed to run 45km, with zero pain. My confidence was really building.

3 weeks later, I had an 8-hour mission. But this time I incorporated over 2000 metres of elevation into the run, in order to really test my fitness and ability to cope while tired. I ran from Gap Creek Road near Mt Coo-tha up to Jolly's Lookout near Mt Nebo on some of the hardest, technical trails I could find. By the end of the day I had run 8 hours 45 mins and just under 59km! However, I could hardly walk. It was a tough day out, and I had lost all the skin underneath one of my toes. I ended up needing 3 days rest before I could do anything again, so I changed the next workout for a cycle.

The 8-hour mission was the longest run of the plan, there were 6 weeks left to race day at Blackall. The hardest work had been done and I was recovering well.

One of things I really tried to work on this time was elevation. I was averaging 1500 metres per week, with some weeks going well over 2000. I think this really helped build significant strength in legs, which really helped with long hours on my feet.

With 3 weeks to go to race day I had my last mission.  I did exactly the same course as the previous 4-hour mission as I wanted to compare myself to earlier in the training block. I managed to cover the same distance but 25mins quicker! My confidence was really boosted, I felt as ready as I could be to face 100km!

Although my confidence was high due to my knee recovery and fitness, I was getting very anxious due to the logistics of organising myself and my family for the race. I have run the 50km twice at Blackall before, which did take a fair bit of organisation and planning, however planning for a 100km race was on another level! I was getting stressed worrying about arrival time at Mapleton, ensuring I had all the right gear, forgetting head torches, pace plans, nutrition plans and changes of clothes mid race!

I was not sleeping at all well in the week leading up to the race, which made me worry more. I was concerned I would get sick with worry!

Fortunately, I did not get sick and before I knew it, we were on our way to Mapleton on Friday afternoon 16th October.

My lovely wife Maureen and her sister Therese had agreed to be my support crew for the race. I was not sure how much I would need them during the day, but they turned out to be absolutely essential. In previous years, the checkpoint (CP) volunteers were able to give runners assistance in changing water bottles, providing drinks, chairs and other assistance. But due to the COVID-safe plan they were unable to do as much this year, which meant relying on a crew. I did not realise this until well into the race, once I started needing help.

We checked in on Friday night and treated the race briefing, which I always enjoy. Uncle Al from the Jinibara people welcomed us to country on the lawns at the Mapleton QCCC, a wonderful experience.

I managed to catch up with a few running friends, which helped settle the nerves and soon enough it was time for bed.

I managed a few hours’ sleep but was awake at 3am. I got up and started getting my gear organised for the day ahead. We had stayed at the QCCC this year, my room was only 50 metres to the start line!

I ate breakfast with the rest of the runners at 4:30am, went to the toilet a few times and took some Imodium. At 5:30am I woke my family who wanted to see me start. I wandered outside, found a few Brisbane Trail Runners (BTR) to chat to and waited for the start at 6am. It was an absolutely stunning day, blue skies and a freshness in the air. However, the forecast for the middle of the day was hot!

There were 290 runners on the start time for the 100km, which was a record. I positioned myself towards the back, it was going to be a very long day, so any position really didn't matter at this stage.

My original plan was to try and finish under 18 hours, during training I really thought that I could push that to sub 16. However, if I could finish anywhere in that window, I would have been very happy. After all, just finishing a 100km race is an achievement, even finishing just within the 24hour cut off!

At 6am sharp, there was a 3....2....1......GO from the PA system and we were slowly on our way. My family were cheering form the side just past the start line, I gave them a quick high-5 and I was on my way.

Start to CP1 - 7.8km - 53mins 25secs

Under the Blackall100 banner and over the blue timing mat we crossed, slowly making our way through the many cheers of friends, family and volunteers to start one hell of a journey through country.

This first section was incredibly easy, as it should be. We left the Mapleton QCCC, turning right onto Obi Obi Road and right again onto Wandoo and then Wilga Ct before hitting the Montville Mapleton Road heading south towards Flaxton and Kondallila Falls. Running along the road was unusual for a trail race but expected for the first 7km or so before we hit the Kondallila Falls loop. Although it was road, the views to our left were stunning. It was a clear day with no haze, I had stop to take in the view and sneak a quick photo.

I was running with Steve, a chap I've met over the last couple of years at various BTR events. We were casually chatting about all sorts of random stuff towards the back of the field, slowly letting the early kilometres roll by.

My plan had been to do this section at a pace of around 7mins/km. This is incredibly slow on road; it was quite difficult to keep to that pace, but I knew I had to go so slow in order to be able to make it through the whole day.

By the time we ran through Flaxton and onto the turnoff to Kondallila falls, I was slightly faster than planned but nothing to worry about. The next section would definitely slow me down.


CP1 to CP1 Kondallila Falls Loop - 4.4km - 42mins 32secs

The Kondallila Falls loop was spectacular. The views into the falls and through the trees down into steep gullies were breathtaking. The pace had slowed down considerably, as there were so many runners, I had no choice but to slow down and be patient with those in front. 

There was a fair bit of elevation loss and gain in this section - roughly 450metres. I was averaging around 9:30mim/km in this section, which was nice and easy. It also meant I could take in my surroundings and enjoy the view.

It was great to chat to fellow runners, discussing our plans for the day and what we hoped to get out of it. Lac joined Steve and I during this section, it was great to hear each other’s experiences.



CP1 to CP2 Back to the Start Line - 10.3km - 1hr 25mins 40secs

The road from Kondallila Falls back up to the main coast road was fairly steep so I decided to just enjoy the walk up like everyone else. I met a fellow called Alec on this section, a Mountain Goat runner from Brisbane, who I would later meet at the finish line some 15 or so hours later, a really nice guy! 

Although I was extremely relaxed running a very easy pace, something weird happened. My nose started bleeding! It started dripping down my face onto the floor, I desperately tried to stop it and wipe it up with my shirt. Fortunately, the shirt was red! I still have no idea why this happened, I have never had a nosebleed on any run or race before today. It is so true that in ultra-running you must prepare for the completely unexpected at any time during a race.

We turned left onto the coast road again retracing our steps for about 1km before we took another left turn down Flaxton Mill Road heading towards Baxter Creek Falls. This road had a gentle descent which made for a very easy few kms, this section was really relaxing and shortly we would head into the trails and switchbacks towards the creek. At the bottom of the descent we reached the creek and we were met by a troll guarding a suspension bridge, which we could only cross 2 at a time. A photographer greeted us over the other side, just before we climbed back up towards Obi Obi Road.



I was not expecting this section at all. I honestly did not realise there would a climb like this so early into the race, yet here we were. Steve was convinced he couldn't remember this climb from last year, I wondered if he had deliberately blocked it from his memory! It was not too difficult, but it was long and quite unexpected.

Eventually, we reached the top and were met by the Grim Reaper wanting a password to get through his gate. Surely, I wasn't hallucinating so early into this? No, everyone saw him and shouted how much they loved him and he let us pass.

I was a little behind my planned pace at this point, but it was only 2km to go to CP2 where I would see my family for the first time. We hit Obi Obi Road and I opened up a bit down the hill towards the QCCC. I managed a 5:40min/km at this point which got my pace back on track. I swung into the lane where we had left just under 3 hours ago and headed towards the CP. I found my family and my drop bags and went about replenishing my fluids.

My nutrition plan was much more complex than when racing 50km last year. I had worried incessantly about this in the week beforehand but was now confident that I had everything under control. Between the start and CP2 I had used 1.5 litres of Tailwind in my Salomon bladder. For the next section I would add 500ml to the bladder as well as picking up 2 500ml pre-filled soft flasks. My usual nutrition load is 500ml per hour, so I had more than enough to get me to CP3.

It was fantastic to see my family/crew so early on, Maureen helped me with the bladder, Therese with the soft flasks. They also helped clean my face from the nosebleed earlier on. I topped up with sunscreen, let off a massive fart much to my daughter's amusement, grabbed half a banana from a volunteer and was off within 3 mins of arriving. It was now on to CP3, a section I knew well from the last 2 years of the 50km race.


CP2 to CP3 Sam Kelly Road - 19.3km - 2hrs 43mins 58secs

I left CP3 by myself, I had lost both Steve and Lac on the way into the CP but decided to push on at my own pace. I was still feeling fresh and in good spirits. I just needed to watch my pace in this next section as there was more descent than ascent, the real tests were yet to come.

I passed a lot of other runners coming back into CP2 on this section heading towards Mapleton Falls National Park. There was a lot of cheering and shouting, but no high-5s! We still managed to social distance as much as was possible!

I passed the entrance to Obi Obi Road from Suses Pocket Road where I had turned earlier and was now alone. There were no runners within 200 metres either in front or behind. I did not mind that at all, I kept moving to my rhythm enjoying creation and breathing in the fresh forest air. I did come across other runners here and there, I passed a few, a few passed me, but it was mostly a solitary affair until I arrived at the water station before the Ubajee Walker's camp. I grabbed a cup of water, had a brief chat to the volunteers and another couple of runners and headed down the long descent to the Gherulla Valley floor.


This section is very deceptive, although mostly flat there are several challenging technical sections requiring a lot of concentration and attention. There are a number of riverbed crossings, sharp little inclines, switchbacks and trees across the trail. A relaxed pace was critical at this point, especially as I was only 30km into a 100km race. I was feeling good, even though my pace had dropped a little under my plan. The temperature was increasing though, I could really feel the heat radiating from some of the rocks around the more exposed areas of the valley.

I kept moving and some came across the 3 folks proudly proclaiming last place for the 50km! I wished them well but was concerned. They would have only been 12km into their race and they would have already been moving for over 4 hours, I wondered if they managed to finish - I really hoped so.

2km from the CP after another riverbed crossing, the trail turned into a dirt road, so I was able to pick up my pace a little. I arrived at CP3 bang on time and waiting for me were my awesome crew!

I had been running for 5 hours and 45 mins at this stage so decided to take a longer break than the last CP. Maureen gave me a chair to sit in, Therese massaged my shoulders as they had begun to hurt. My kids asked non-stop questions, while they and their cousin refilled my soft flasks and bladder.

I put another litre into the bladder and took 2 more 500ml soft flasks, 2 litres of tailwind for 4 hours running. The next section was going to be hard - 22km until CP4 in the middle of the day with around 1km of elevation!!







CP3 to CP4 Gherulla Bluff - 22km - 3hrs 49mins

I left CP3 just before 12pm, 6 hours or 41km in. I had almost run a marathon but had another 60km to go. Right ahead of me I had the infamous Gherulla Bluff, notorious in crushing some runners’ spirits and this year was no different.

This section of the course had been changed from last year, an extra 4 km section had been added to remove a later 4km for the 50 km runners so there would be less congestion at CP4. However, the extra 4km incorporated extra hills that were unexpected and not particularly pleasant in the middle of the day.

I knew the first climb of the Gherulla Bluff from previous years, the only way I could tackle it was slow and steady not allowing my heart rate to climb too high resulting in dizziness. Even so, I was catching and passing a few runners on this section. There was a guy sat at the side of the trail who was struggling with the heat, he was waiting to cool down a little before moving on. I looked down when I was further up and saw him moving again which was encouraging.


The Bluff is relentless, when you think you must be done you are only halfway up. Fortunately, it is not a steep climb, it just seems to last forever. I met Karl from BTR on this section, we kept each other company (well I followed him) until we reached the photographer at the top. We took a few snaps and I moved on. Karl stayed for a chat, that was the last I saw of him until the final 5km.

I knew that the new section at the top of the Bluff would be upon me soon, but I didn't know what to expect. The Bluff I was used to was flat and mostly runnable. Soon though there was a sign to turn right and I was descending steeply downwards. This only meant one thing, there would be more climbing. Sadistic race directors!!! 

I rounded a corner on the bottom of this descent, fortunately it only dropped around 100 metres and lo and behold the trail climbed up again. There were several 50km runners at this point, but they looked like they were really struggling. One poor lady took a step in front of me and proceeded to vomit. Moving swiftly on, I managed to overtake the runners wishing them all the best and continued to climb. 

At the top of this section I reached Delicia Road, I had been running for almost 50km but was still feeling ok. There was a water station at the exit of the trail onto the road, but it was really busy. There were a few runners hanging around drinking water and recuperating from the climbs, I later found out that several runners had dropped out at this station. The climbs and the heat had really affected some people, fortunately I was not one of them. Onwards I went, running down Delicia Road towards the entry back onto the trails.


This next section of the Great Walks trail was pretty uneventful, unlike last year when we had a full-on storm directly overhead. I moved at my own pace, was passed a couple of times and I passed some runners as well. There was a steep descent coming up, which meant the climb back up towards the Ubajee Walker's camp. The descent was uneventful, I crossed the completely dry riverbed, which last year was knee deep! I made my way towards the climb.

Around halfway up the climb I saw sign reading 60km! This was now the furthest I had ever run, so I was in unknown territory. I was feeling ok, so I just kept moving. The only real issue at this stage was a fair amount of chafe between my legs mostly due to salt loss through sweat. I remembered to bring my body glide, so I gave myself a quick covering while no one was looking.

I stopped for a drink of water at the Ubajee Walker's camp water station, I soaked my legionnaire’s cap to cool my neck, had a quick chat to the volunteers and soldiered on. Although I had plenty of fluids on me, the water was needed as I was getting tired from the sweet and salty tailwind taste. The good thing though was I had no gastric problems all day, my only issue was getting sick of the taste of berry flavoured drink! 

I was only 3km now from CP4, where I would be able to replenish my fluids and have my spirits lifted by the volunteers and crew.

I arrived at CP4 after running for a total of 63km in 9hours and 35mins, I was getting tired now. I was desperate for a sit down, a change of clothes and another shoulder massage.

CP4 is run by the wonderful BTR mob, they always give everyone a very warm welcome when arriving into the CP and this year was no different. However, due to COVID restrictions they were unable to be as hands on as usual. In previous years I had been given a chair, been helped with drinks and even filled my soft flasks. Even though there were restrictions, they still did everything they could and even showed massive concern over the amount of salt that had accumulated on my clothes, I might have been dehydrated. This did mean that I had to rely on my crew even more, which every other runner seemed to be doing as well. CP4 was more crowded than usual with support, I had to dodge quite a few people to get to my chair.


This was my longest break at a CP, I think I was at CP4 for around 15mins. I'm glad I stopped and rested as it had been a long hot day already. I put to bed thinking I could get under 16 hours and focused on finishing strong, within my original plan of sub 18 hours. I refuelled and managed a full change of clothes. I had stashed a pack of pork scratchings for this CP, I was glad I did. After the concern over my salt loss, getting stuck into some pork fat was just what I needed. I downed half the pack and asked Maureen to take it with her to CP5, I would need some more salt again!

Whilst changing my socks, I noticed a couple of huge blisters forming on the tops of my toes. They didn't hurt, but I quickly put the clean socks on and decided to deal with them later! My crew were fantastic, they helped with my bottles and clothes, making sure I had everything I needed for the next leg.

The change of clothes worked like magic, I felt refreshed and ready to push on. Fortunately, the next leg would only be 10km, I would see my crew again very soon.


CP4 to CP5 Cooloolabin Dam 10.2km - 1hr 59mins 57secs

I left CP4 tired but in good spirits. The first 3km were mostly downhill and very runnable, although my pace was slow, I was able to run the whole 3km until I hit a hill and slowed to a walk again for the next couple of kms. I was caught and passed by a couple of runners, but I managed to hang on with them. The company was good, I had spent a lot of hours by myself and it was good to have a chat. Even if it was just along the lines of “how's your day been?", "do you know how far the next CP is?" and "my watch battery ran out after 30km!", which fortunately was not me.

There were a few short but steep hills in this section, but the bush was still very pretty, and it had begun to cool down. Although the fatigue was setting in, it was very pleasant to run, actually, walk through this section. We had to cross some rocks at the base of Kureelpa Falls before making our way up another steep climb towards Baronga Road.

I turned left onto Baronga Road knowing that it was only 2km until CP5. Although a dirt road, it was runnable, and I was able to move fairly well along this stretch. There was one final gentle climb (although at the time it felt like Everest!) before I left the road and headed into the Cooloolabin Dam Day Use area and CP5.

This CP was run by the Noosa Ultra and Trail Runners (NUTRs) who were having a disco party. The atmosphere was fantastic and the view over the Dam wall into the reservoir was spectacular. It was also much less crowded than CP4, due mainly to no 50km runners coming this way, plus the 100km field had thinned out.

I was dowsed in water by a guy handling a very large sponge, grabbed a coke in my trusty collapsible cup, was handed my drop bag and led to my crew!

Again, led by Maureen and Therese and ably helped by Reuben, Katie and Clara I was incredibly well looked after. They made sure all my bottles were filled, my hi-vis shirt on for the road sections and my head torch ready for the night-time stretch ahead.

I didn't want to hang around for long at CP5 as it was now approaching 6pm, I had been on course for nearly 12 hours and the sun had begun to set. The next leg from CP5 back to CP4 was long; another 18km and I was itching to get going. There was still a very long way to go.


CP5 to CP4 Back to Mapleton Forest Day Use Area - 18km - 3hrs 29mins 44secs

I was 74km into the race and had 26km to go as I left CP5. I was feeling ok, my legs were hurting but I was still able to break into a very gentle run. I was running along the Cooloolabin Dam wall, the view over the reservoir was beautiful as the sun was setting. It felt incredibly peaceful, until I heard a car horn to my left! "Do you want your sunglasses???" It was Therese bellowing from Maureen's car. My crew had caught me up on their way back to CP4. "No thanks!" was my reply, the sun was setting after all. I gave them a hearty wave, which was returned by them all and off they drove, the dust from the dirt road billowing behind them.


Onwards I ran along the Dam wall until I ran out of grass and trail to run on and was forced under a fence onto Cooloolabin Road. I turned left onto Buckby Road, switched on my head torch as darkness took hold around me. After another couple of kms I stopped to walk and caught another runner called Mark. He told me his day had been rough, his aim was to finish in around 13 and a half hours but had been struggling with stomach issues for most of the day. He could only walk to keep from throwing up, so had decided to walk it in. I was impressed, even though his goal had long since gone he was still determined to finish. It inspired me to just keep going and put one foot in front of the other, my legs were really sore at this point approaching 80km in and I was running less and less. I thought I was hearing things, there was the sound of someone playing a guitar in the forest - it must have been a campsite somewhere close by.

A few runners were passing me now and I was slowing, but I was still moving. The road wasn't too bad and after a while disappeared back into trail and started descending significantly. This could only mean one thing, another big climb! The last long climb of the day which would take me close to CP4 but would turn out to nearly finish me. As I was running something in front of me caught my eye, a small black and white banded snake! I stopped to take a quick photo and kept my distance, I had no idea if it was dangerous or not, better not risk it! It turned out to be a bandy-bandy snake, apparently not that dangerous to humans.

Halfway down the descent was another water station, it was good to see some people as I had been on my own again for another hour or so. I was 84km so I knew it was only another 8km to the CP, on I went run/walking for the next 2.5km until I hit the lowest point of the trail, which by now had turned into Mapleton Forest Road. The climb began.

On and on it went, not steep but relentless. The climb lasted on and off for nearly 6km, almost the distance back to the CP. It was at this point where I my legs felt finished, my quads were burning, I could hardly lift my feet off the ground. I worried that I would catch my foot on a rock or root, fall flat on my face and not get back up. But I kept moving, one foot in front of the other up and up the climb until I saw a sign - 2.4km to Mapleton Forest Day Use area, I was close to the CP. Just after that point, a sign led us off the road back onto single track. Another sign, this time 2.5km back to the Day Use area, what???

Through the single track I walked, slowly. Eventually, I could see some twinkling ahead - it was the CP. I had made it to 92km, and my family were waiting there cheering me on.

I took a seat, took the sock off my left foot and inspected my toe. The skin had almost completely separated, it was more than a blister and knew it would hurt later. For now, I just needed to tape it up and get on with it. I replaced the sock with a clean one, painfully got my shoe back on and loaded my soft flasks one last time. I gave Maureen, Therese and Reuben a big hug and gingerly made my way out of the CP.


CP4 to QCCC the last stretch - 8km - 1hr 55mins

I had spent longer at the CP than I had anticipated, probably around 10mins. My concern was that I had cooled down quite a lot, I was shivering as I was leaving and had to force myself to run even just a little to try and warm up. Fortunately, the path out of CP4 is flat so I was able to move well for just under a km. Once warm though I resorted to walking, I was so close to finishing I just had to make sure I did. One foot in front of the other now, come on!

My watch beeped at me, it only had 10% charge left! That was disappointing, it wouldn't last the whole race. These things happen though, deal with it when it happens.

I turned into the Mapleton Falls National Park section and just kept moving, it is a tricky section and I kept wondering if I was on the right trail, the course markings were quite far apart. I was ok though; I didn't get lost once all day. Karl who I earlier walked with up Gherulla Bluff, breezed passed me at this point leaving me for dead. Good on him for still moving so well at this late stage!

I crossed Delicia Road and up towards the last section of trail, 96km in according to my watch when it abruptly died. I took out my phone and got the Strava app going to record the final few kms, I had no idea what time it was or how long I had been going or had left. I couldn't concentrate on times or numbers; it was just one foot in front of the other. I saw a sign for 4km to go.

I came out of the National Park onto the road leading out of the car park. This section was uphill, and I could barely walk. It was so incredibly peaceful. I really enjoyed walking on the path heading back towards Obi Obi Road. I even managed to break into a run at times as the path flattened out.

Once onto Obi Obi Road I knew I was almost home, only 2km to go now and I just had to keep moving. After another 500 metres the road started to descend and I was able to break into a run, I kept running, I could see the entrance to the QCCC ahead of me. I started to get emotional.

I turned into the QCCC and only had a few hundred metres left to go. Katie, Reuben and Therese were waiting for me along the driveway and started to run with me either side. Absolutely awesome! I couldn't keep up with them. I could hear the MC call out my name that I was approaching the finish. Who knows what I was thinking, I broke into a sprint! The last hundred metres I was flying, with Reuben and Katie sticking with me. I saw Maureen wave to me as I turned right and headed into the hall to the many cheers and claps of previous finishers and volunteers. I crossed the line and headed straight for the Blackall Bell. I rang it with everything I had left! I had completed the Blackall100!!



Finish 100km - 16hrs 59mins 16secs - 10:59pm

Maureen hugged me as I met her inside the hall after ringing the bell. She led me outside where I could sit down and take in what had just been achieved. I quickly changed my shirt into something dry and put on a warm fleece.

I got hold of a peperoni pizza and a can of red bull and proceeded to devour them both! Great recovery food!

I was pleased with my time; I had no idea on the finishing straight that I would get under 17 hours. All I knew is that if I finished, I would beat my original sub 18 hours plan. Due to heat and extra hills this year, sub 16 was too ambitious for me, but that was ok. After all, just finishing a 100km race is something to celebrate!

Once I had inhaled the pizza, Reuben escorted me to the showers where I cleaned myself up and changed clothes. He watched over me to make sure I didn't pass out in the shower. I have a history of blood pressure plummeting after long races, so we wanted to make sure that didn't happen.

Having successfully not passed out, I decided to go back out to the finish line to see if I could spot any other runners come in. I saw Alec finish, who I had chatted to briefly, we gave each other a massive hug! Then I saw Steve finish, who'd had a tough day with cramping but had not given up!

I made my way back to my room at around 12:30am got into bed and slept very badly until I woke at 5am. I got up gingerly, got dressed and went to the toilet. The sun was up so I decided to try and stretch my legs and see if there were any more finishers, the cut-off was at 6am.

I wandered down the driveway of the QCCC and lo and behold, just after 5:30am a runner staggering along approached me. There was no one around, so I gave him a clap and a cheer and wished him well. Who knows what sort of a day and night he'd experienced; I was impressed he was still going and running it in to the finish line.

About 20mins later my way back up the drive another runner was approaching. It was 5:50am and fast approaching the cut off! Again, I was taken aback by the courage of this chap to keep pushing even right up to the cut off time. I later found out it was the last placed runner. One of the race directors approached him, told him to check his watch and joked that it was after 6am! He sidled alongside and ran with him and a few others the last 200metres into the fall for him to ring the bell. I'm glad I got to see the last runner, I had finished nearly 7 hours earlier, but his finish was just as impressive!

The 100km race is an achievement that will have my name against it. However, looking back there is no way I could have completed it without the love, support and awesome crewing skills of my wife Maureen, her sister Therese, my kids Katie and Reuben, and niece Clara. They made the day extra special and I am deeply thankful and grateful they gave up their weekend to support me achieving my goals.

1 comment:

  1. A brilliant honest and informative account of your extraordinary journey and achievement on foot. A great encouragement to all with Crohn's and any health disadvantage! Well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete